Thursday 20 February 2014

Tattoos


So a while ago I said I would post about my tattoos, so here it is:-


The roses are specifically red for symbolistic reasons, they are often affiliated with love and beauty, and this is why I had these are part of my sleeve.

The compass and the pocket-watch go together, the former represents the entity of space and navigation in a physical form, whereas the latter represents time. Personally, the compass has importance to me as it is a reminder that no matter what happens we can always find our way, not just when we are physically lost, but also when we are emotionally 'lost'. The pocket-watch has a similar meaning, I am a great believer that time is a great healer for any misfortune, etc. we may go through in life, and is a reminder that time can heal all wounds, yet again whether physical or emotional.

The snake and the skull are simply there because I like them as a space filler, snakes create great effects when used in such a large tattoo, and coupling it with something such as a skull is common. Snakes commonly represent good and evil, going back to biblical stories of Adam & Eve, but I assure you there is no evil in me, maybe... (Joking, I'm not at all evil!)

The Eye of Providence has a certain meaning behind it, it is commonly associated with the illuminati nowadays, however it has a deeper meaning. The religious meaning is that god can see all that someone does. The iris is blue however, matching my own eyes. The eye sees all and knows all, this is not intended in a big headed way, but it represents that those who do wrong to me should be aware that I can see right through them, and that I usually find out about things, even if I can't physically see them.

The dreamcatcher is one of the newer parts of my tattoo, probably the most painful too! The dreamcatcher has origins from Native American culture, it is said that they allow the good dreams to pass through, and the bad dreams (nightmares) become trapped in the netting, and would disappear as the sun comes up. I have a dreamcatcher in my bedroom window, and having one on my arm it symbolises that no matter where I am, whether i'm staying at friends or camping, I will be protected from the bad dreams.

The owl is another newer tattoo, and is located above the dreamcatcher within my bicep. The owl is another symbolic tattoo that comes from Greek culture, specifically being sacred to the goddess of learning; Athena. The owl symbolises intelligence and wisdom, and this is why I had this done; I have spent most of my life learning, studying, and bettering my understanding of both academics and personal things. I have become wise due to my own personal experiences and as a result feel that I can help out others because of this, specifically those younger than me who may need guidance. I also like to think that I am rather intelligent, having studied hard most of my life and successfully being accepted to law school in 2012. Before, and since then, I have always dedicated myself to expanding my knowledge and making the most of everything available to me.

This is my newest tattoo, and was only done about two weeks ago. The initial plan was to have a bird of paradise tattooed in this gap, however there was insufficient space. The bird of paradise would have symbolised freedom, reminding me that although we all have expectations in life and regulations to comply with, we are all free and have the right to enjoy life. Instead I came up with a design of a swallow, which is said to represent love and affection towards family and friends. I strongly believe that it is my family and friends that make my life worth living, and I would do anything for either of them. I could never thank some of my friends enough for what they have done for me and for how completely amazon they are, especially my best friend Tasha who has been there for me so much, and unlike others, always has time for me. Nor could I ever completely show my appreciation for all the support my parents have shown me over the years, and for the wonderful upbringing I have had. 

So, as promised: these are all my tattoos (so far) and the meanings behind them, I hope this gives for an interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment